Friday, March 28, 2014

Summer Expectations

I have some pretty great expectations for this years spring/summer season. (Where I live the two seasons kind of get blended together a bit, so I can basically count it all as one.) I know that I will be busy, but it doesn't matter. I still have hopes for those lazy weekends spent lying around in the heat. Sure, I will have just graduated high school and will be busy preparing for college and taking part in some other summer responsibilities; but, again, it doesn't matter. I have expectations and hopes and I plan to fulfill every single one of them. Or at least I'll try... Better to try and fail than to not try at all, right?

This summer, I want to...

  • Read books. Lots of them. Read them inside next to a window with my favorite drink, enjoying the air conditioning. But also read them outside in the sticky heat enjoying the hot sun and, hopefully, a soft breeze. I want to read books that I've read a hundred times before and I also want to discover new adventures and tales that tug at my heart strings.
  • Have movie nights on a Friday night, or even on a week night, and stay up way later than we would have when school was in session.
  • Play hide and go seek at night outside when it's just starting to cool off, but the heat from the day is still inside of you and hasn't flown away yet.
  • Go and see all of the great upcoming films on the big screen. I have very specific dates on the calendar prepared for nights like this and I'm saving up for it, because I know there will be many days with this planned.
  • Run around outside without any shoes on. I want to be adventurous and not worry about mud or catching a cold. I kind of want to be, I don't know... a little reckless, carefree. Let's just go outside and do something crazy, completely unplanned. I want to have an adventure.
  • Have a picnic. Just lay out in the sunshine snacking on food, taking naps, talking, maybe even reading. I want to lay in the shade, feel the warm in the air, and listen to the cool breeze playing through the trees.
  • Eat watermelon. I seriously want to have a watermelon day or something. We'll go outside with a ton of chilled watermelon and just eat it. Best of all is that we can have a watermelon seed fight. After we're done, we can go swimming and wash off all the stickiness. Or have a water balloon/garden hose fight.
  • Go on a long drive with all of the windows rolled down, listening to my awesome summer playlist that I an carefully planning out (you'll hear more about that later). It would be even better if we were driving to the beach, which is another one of my great ideas, by the way.
Summer is on it's way, I have plans, and I am ready.


“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.”
Henry James

No comments:

Post a Comment